Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Santa Barbara holds a special place in my heart, as it is home to my alma mater, U.C.S.B.  Several years ago, when my boys were choosing their college, I toured the campus and hardly recognized where I spent so much of my time when I was their age.  The college of engineering has completely changed with the buildings I called my second home, having been replaced.  Come on now...it hadn't been that long.  


Studying was my priority back then.  I didn't spend much time on the beach, so every chance I get now, I'm there making up for it.








What time I did spend with the sand, was always shared with the tar, presumably generated from the off shore oil derricks.  This was common to see on the beach and we would involuntarily takes it with us (bare feet, flip flops, and tennies) back to the dorms.  Today, I see none of it around.  Huh... the mussels do seem larger too.
On days like today, I remember why it is I pay almost 10% in local sales tax, assume the risk from imminent earthquakes, drive miles around high population densities, and have to/can't water my lawn.  It's drop dead gorgeous. 




It's easy to let time piddle away here in the Golden State,  named not only for the discovery of gold, but also for these golden coastal sunsets.






2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will miss your viewpoint and comments on what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for tagging along with me! It's been quite an adventure for sure. I don't see it as an end though, but the start of something new. More on that shortly...

    ReplyDelete