Saturday, September 20, 2014

Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO

This place is magical!  It's like a grand slam, a double rainbow, and a Model S, all rolled into one experience.  I arrived a hour and a half before the concert started, and I'm glad I did. Although I didn't count the steps to get to the top, I trust that 192 is spot on.  To give you some idea how that number translates, off to the right of the last set of steps is a sign offering a heart rate monitor check. Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  

If you zoom in, you'll notice I carried my key fob in the right-hand "watch" pocket of my jeans. As it turns out, this is significant and in my next post I'll tell you why.


According to their website, the amphitheatre has 9,500 unobstructed seats. Each seat has an assigned number and like most venues, seat pricing is based upon location.   The honor system is in affect as there are no ushers.   I did notice however, that as the evening progressed and libations flowed,  more than a "normal" amount of those seats tended to be towards the bottom.


"There is a large, tilted, disc-shaped rock behind the stage, a huge vertical rock (that) angles outwards from stage right, and several large outcrops angled outwards from stage left."  That, in addition to the amplifiers on steroids, produce a clear, thunder rumbling, sound.  At one point, I literally felt the cavity in my chest reverberate like Yo-Yo Ma's "Petunia".



The amphitheatre is owned and operated by the City and County of Denver, Colorado and is in the Denver Mountain Parks system. 



Lights, smoke (ah... both kinds) and fireworks, this concert had it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment