Sunday, November 2, 2014

I get up this morning, stand on the oche, close my eyes, then throw the navigational dart.  It travels southeast before a loss of elevation causes it to land at the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Kitt follows suit; readies the cruise control, aims the GPS, then it's game on.



When I come to the bend in the arm at Highway 64, I notice what seems to be quite a bit of trash on the side of the road, but its all white, much like crumpled sheets of paper.  It brings a sad look to my face until a little further on, a scoreboard of the stuff appears, cotton!


I have never seen this crop first hand and boy am I excited.  I stop mid air, pull over and take a short trek to check it out.


This plant, (a shrub which is native to tropical and subtropical regions around the world) is amazing!  No leaves at this stage of the game, just sticks and fluff. 
It's like the largest kernel of popped corn on a stick!












According to Wikipedia and the National Cotton Council, China is the world's largest producer of cotton, but the US is the largest exporter, averaging 65% of its 9.5 million acre supply.



Daunting, and this state isn't even the largest producer. That trophy gets awarded to Texas.





Not surprising, it feels just like a cotton ball, but with a bit of chaff mixed in.  Great wadding material for a home made dart board.












No comments:

Post a Comment